About this blog

Hi, I am Autumn Crisovan or 丁婉秋,
This blog is about my life as an exchange student in Taiwan, through Rotary Youth Exchange! I am sixteen. I live and go to school in New Taipei! I am from South Bend, Indiana USA. I'm having a lot of fun meeting new people and trying new things! Thanks for reading, enjoy!

Sunday, December 23, 2018

Camping with my classmates

Friday morning I arrived at school a little before seven with my bag. I got on the bus with the rest of my classmates. On the way to the campground, one of the counselors taught us cheers. When we arrived we were lined up by class. If our counselor or student leader said stream we screamed if they said jump we jumped. We then followed army commands. Pretty much the equivalent to " attention" and "at ease" and a few others. In Taiwan, every man must spend two years in the army and many women do as well although, as far as I know, it's not a requirement like it is for men. Eventually, we switched to dancing. One of our classmates would go in front of everyone else and dance, everyone did exactly the same dance moves and each class got points for the best dancing. After all this, we had some pretty fun activities. There was this thing that pretty much was a giant teeter-totter that we put fifteen people on and tried to balance it out perfectly. We went zip lining and played paintball. Man, did I get blasted in paintball! There was paint all over my mask, I got hit in the leg, my hand, my shoulder, at one point my own teammate hit me in the back! But it sure was fun. We painted our faces with paint we made from charcoal. Unfortunately, it was really hot and our uniform was black pants and black long sleeves. This proved helpful in paintball but uncomfortable the rest of the day. We cooked our own dinner and there were dances performed by groups from each class. The dances were actually quite impressive and were very fun to watch. We danced some more, like before, everyone followed one person but this time there was glow sticks and a fire! By the end of the day, I was so exhausted it barely mattered that we were sleeping on hard floors. In the morning we went on a scavenger hunt in teams. We barbaqued for lunch, which was delicious. Turns out I'm really good at Taiwanese bbq I was especially helpful because I was the only one in our group who could lite a match. We made headbands out of rope that we used for a ceremony about becoming independent. At one point they called me up in front of everyone and had me follow a few commands. They gave me a little flag too. They said I was the first foreigner to complete the camp and I had done it really well! We had more dancing, I even led two songs! It was a lot of fun, quite the experience. Everyone sang karaoke the whole ride home. When I got home, after I showered because I smelled like sweat and smoke, it felt like I had been in a dream. Those two days were so different then what I'm used to it was hard to get my mind around it. But I sure am glad I went.













No comments:

Post a Comment