About this blog

Hi, I am Autumn Crisovan or 丁婉秋,
This blog is about my life as an exchange student in Taiwan, through Rotary Youth Exchange! I am sixteen. I live and go to school in New Taipei! I am from South Bend, Indiana USA. I'm having a lot of fun meeting new people and trying new things! Thanks for reading, enjoy!

Sunday, December 30, 2018

Last weekend with first host family

Technically I’ll still be in this family next weekend but Sophia won’t be there so this feels like the last weekend. We started the weekend at our Cousin’s house. One of my cousins is an amazing baker. She goes to a high school for baking, meaning she bakes all day and then comes home and bakes more. We got to try cookies, tarts, and rolls this time. The eldest daughter is pretty funny from what I can understand. The youngest, a boy, is a pretty normal kid who likes to play and mess around. Long story short, they’re retry cool cousins:) The next day we went to 中台禅寺. I didn’t understand the tour guide but it was still a really cool place to visit. I learned quite a bit about Buddhism in Taiwan. For example, I had no idea women could be monks! The next place we visited was Hehuanshan or 合歡山, Taiwan’s highest road. It was freezing but completely worth it. We arrived just before the sun set. I’m so used to mountains now I forget to appreciate them sometimes. I remember the first time I climbed Elephant mountain, my first week here, I was in awe. Indiana is in no way precipitous and I think that will be something I will miss when I return home. Our final stop was an “American” style steak restaurant. It may have been served on top of noodles but still. It was so good! I would have been happy to eat the bread alone! Don’t get me wrong, I like Taiwanese bread but because it’s steamed it’s spongy. The bread at this place though, oh god. 
Thanks for reading,
Autumn丁晚秋

We started the trip at 中台禅寺 or Chung Tai Chan Monastery.

The monastery was an amazing display of wealth and faith. Unfortunately we weren’t allowed to take pictures inside so this has to be something one experiences in person.

Behind the lion guard you can make out some of one of the giants.  There was a  statue like this at each corner of the room and each had four heads.











No comments:

Post a Comment