About this blog

Hi, I am Autumn Crisovan or 丁婉秋,
This blog is about my life as an exchange student in Taiwan, through Rotary Youth Exchange! I am sixteen. I live and go to school in New Taipei! I am from South Bend, Indiana USA. I'm having a lot of fun meeting new people and trying new things! Thanks for reading, enjoy!

Wednesday, September 12, 2018

Little Differences

You're not supposed to compare countries, it's a bad idea. But there are a few little differences that I really appreciate!!

1) Transportation
In the Tapei area, we use Ubikes, I've also seen Gbikes in Tainan. You pay with an Easy card and tada: eco-friendly transportation. Taiwan is known for scooters for a reason. They are everywhere. On the sidewalks, on the street, in driveways and there are tons of them! One to three people will pack on to these little things and zip around. And my favorite: buses. In South Bend, there's a horrible stigma that comes with riding the bus. People look at you while you're standing at the bus stop with looks of pity or just judgment. Only poor people ride the bus in South Bend, they come every half an hour and they don't run at all on Sundays and you have to walk all over God's green earth to find a bus stop. I know all of this because I've been using the public transportation in South Bend for as long as I can remember and it hasn't gotten any better. Now the buses in Taiwan is a much different story. Everyone rides the bus. They come every 15 minutes all day, every day. And there's a bus stop on every corner. Its amazing and I love it. 

2) Elevators
In every elevator I've been in Taiwan there is a mirror. It's fantastic! Just enough time to make sure your hair looks good and you don't have anything in your teeth before the doors open and other people can see you again.




3) Walk Signs and traffic lights
Traffic lights have little counters that countdown until the light turns green. Wals signs have little green men on them. At first, the little men walk at an easy stroll as the numbers get smaller he picks up his pace and by the time it gets into the single digits he's full out running. I think he's pretty funny. When you're not supposed to walk he turns read and stands still, waiting for the light to turn. At stops with lots of bicycle traffic, there's also a green woman who rides a bike


4) McDonald's
McDonald's is actually decent in Taiwan. Like it serves real food that is still cheap. I also get a lot of stares when I walk into a restaurant with "Taste of America" plastered on the side. And when there are deals the line literally goes around the corner.






2 comments:

  1. Ceramics! That is a brilliant group activity and your bear turned out really well, :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Autumn - it is so fun to see what you are seeing in term of urban planning and design! You must be related to Rich Wallace... I am always curious about the transit options in other towns (and their recycling systems) so this is SO fun to see! Plus, looks like you are in your element and I am so happy for you.

    ReplyDelete